Friday, June 24, 2016

Orange Coconut Cake with Orange Icing

It's difficult getting a good Orange cake recipe. I have tried many in the past but they have turned out bitter or dense and unpleasant to eat.  today I attempted the Orange Coconut Cake with orange Icing page 48.
A light mixture, it is very easy to put together and makes a large amount of batter. I did not deviate from the original mixture. The cooking time is 90 minutes in a moderately slow oven. I was rather worried that this length of time may dry out the cake. I pulled the cake out after 80 minutes as the cake tester came out clean. It requires one to let it stand for at least 5 minutes before turning out.
Upon cutting I found the outer cake was quite crusty but the inside light and moist although crumbly when cutting. It wasn't overly sweet probably more on the bitter side leaving a residue taste on the tongue much later after tasting.
Viewing the Women's Weekly photograph the texture of both cakes are very similar so yes it is what you get. Possibly next time however,I would add a touch more sugar to balance the flavours.
I give it 3 stars and will continue to search for that elusive light, but delicious, orange cake.

No comments:

Post a Comment